Wednesday, April 25, 2012

A little goes a long way

Yay, I'm so glad you came back to visit!! Now I'm gonna have to keep up my end of the deal, so here goes it.
Okay, one of the great things about buying an older home is a lot of them have many built in features. Our house is no exception. We have several built in cabinets, shelves, and a built in oven. Now for some reason the previous owners decided to paint the built ins the same color as the wall. Although it doesn't look bad, it doesn't exactly showcase them either.
Thus bringing me to our subject.
Alright, so I have these awesome shelves that are basically camouflaged.Now that leaves me with two options, to either paint them white, or go with the new trend and wallpaper the back wall.
Well, I'm not a great painter, pretty sloppy really! On the other hand, I have never worked with wallpaper of any kind.(Unless ripping it down counts) Yeah, I didn't think so.
Okay,Okay I know you are ready to hear how I gave my shelves a makeover for one buck. Alrighty, I have to admit I do love the look of wallpaper backed shelves(Did I just invent a word?)That's how I came up with this idea. First off, let me show you what my shelves looked like before.(I apologize for how messy they were, but that was the day we moved in.)
See,I tried to warn ya! Now, the moment you've been waiting for...
I think I'll be different, and show you the pic before I give you the tutorial.
Ready, set, go
Whew, I hope that I redeemed myself with the after photo. Okay, now this is how I fixed my problem. You know when you come up with an idea that is so crazy, that it might actually work? Well, that's exactly what this was. I had in my head that I wanted polka dots, and since my shelves are a goldfish-beige color then the only color I could think of that would show up well would have to be white. I then started wondering if you could find those decal thingies in little white polka dots. I did a little searching, but came up empty handed. I then thought to myself, Stickers!!!!! Not just any stickers though. Yard Sale stickers, I'm sorry , translation needed for non-southerners. I mean Garage Sale!! You know those little white stickers you put on everything you want to sale for a quarter! Okay, the best part was that I found them in a pack of 300 at the Dollar Tree!!! Yes, I did my happy dance. Wouldn't you?
Ok, here's a pic of the yard sale stickers, just in case your one of those people that my husband says "Do not have a clue" (If you are don't feel bad, I'm right there with you)Tootles!!!

1 comment:

  1. I just noticed the typo. My shelf are not goldfish beige, they are goldish- beige! Stupid auto correct!!!!

    ReplyDelete